- Release Date 31 March 2014
- Buy Now: More stock coming soon
- Product code
- Vinyl LP
- Blue Note
Includes MP3 version
John Coltrane is joined by Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones for this record, and all three had played together on an album the pianist recorded for Riverside Records, so they were already acquainted with each other’s style. The rest of the band is made up of Lee Morgan (trumpet) and Curtis Fuller (trombone), and was recorded at Van Gelder’s Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey, 15 September,1957.
For the title track alone it is worth buying this record – and its value is virtually doubled by the addition of a ‘Moment’s Notice’ – Quite simply, this record is a masterpiece. So familiar is ‘Blue Train’ that it feels like a theme to some long-forgotten TV series or the soundtrack of an atmospheric movie. It is everything that makes jazz so affecting.
There are some who question this album’s integrity and the debate centres on the track, ‘Blue Train’. On the original album release, the piano solo from take 8 is spliced into the following take from the same September 1957 session to create what we have come to accept as Coltrane’s masterpiece. Along with the four Coltrane originals there is a beautiful reading of the Jerome Kern and Johnny Mercer standard, ‘I’m Old Fashioned’ that is unapologetically sentimental and among Coltrane’s finest ballads – and he was a master balladeer.
• All titles remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign.
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums.
• Includes special BN75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
1. Blue Train
2. Moment's Notice
2. I'm Old Fashioned
3. Lazy Bird